Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Back In Monterey

I'm so happy to be at my second Internet Librarian conference. I've been to so much already, it's hard to know where to begin. The beginning is one place. Yesterday I heard Nancy Dowd from the New Jersey State Library talk about a new kind of marketing. At least it was new to me. Her opening statement was "Our job is not to convice people they need libraries. It is to convince librarians they need people."
The message that jumped out at me was that we need authentic communication, and that we need to relate with stories. If we want to talk to legislators or the media, we need stories of how libraries change lives. This is a way to reach the influencers. She is going to begin an initiative in New Jersey whereby she will teach libraries how to collect stories, turn them into digital stories, categorize them by issue, and set up story banks. What an idea!! Then when a story is needed, it will be there (with the required permissions). Does anybody else think this is an idea worth pursuing? For more information go to themword.blogspot.com

No comments: